Sunday, December 31, 2006

Christmas day






We had quite a houseful on Christmas day. Ten humans and two dogs. I didn't snap nearly enough photos but the ones I got are here. I prepared a grand meal for our luncheon. We had ham (provided by the Lewises). And I provided all the vegetables. Cooking for ten is as much work as it sounds like. I have a brand new respect for Alice from the Brady Bunch. I made salt crust potatoes and salt crust beets. Sadly my beets were underdone for the second straight year. Maybe the third time will be the charm. Parmesan carrots were great as usual. Honestly, how can you go wrong with anything cooked for an hour in butter and cheese. Hank said my green beans were cooked exactly long enough. I rather agree with him. I happen to like them a bit crisp myself, too. But the wilted chard with the red onions and vinegar was probably the most complimented. I've always loved greens with vinegar and these were quite flavorful. I baked three sweet potatoes until they were just mush inside. We scooped the insides out and they were just as sweet as any yam casserole with marshmallows but twice as healthy. For Keith we had canned cranberry sauce but everyone was happy to see it. Sometimes the low brow can't be improved upon. I opened a bottle of Bordeaux from the St. Julien region. It was just beautiful wine. I may have to purchase another bottle. I got it for myself last Christmas at the wine shop in Grand central Terminal. Chateau Gloria 1999 - for Christmas you see. Matt and Bryan whipped up a very light sour cream dip with onions. I didn't get any with lunch but I have been enjoying it with my Lay's for the past two days. It's nearly gone guys. Send me a recipe when you get a chance. (Also, I noticed you left the Moet White Star behind. I'm looking forward to opening it the next time we get together.) For dessert I baked three pies with homemade crusts. Maple cream, Pear-pomegranate, Apple-cranberry-ginger. I think each was good in its own way but I will likely try three different ones next time.

2 comments:

AaronS said...

Did I just invent a new word. Houseful. I'm not sure what it means. Perhaps it could be used as an adjective to describe a particularly big SUV.

papahank said...

you posted a coment on your own blog?

you out did yourself Aaron happy new year