Sunday, January 23, 2011

Advice needed from the four of you reading this blog

And yes, I know that I asked this same question on Facebook . . .

So Kai-Lan apparently visited the beach in the episode "Beach Day" (a classic of the genre), and I was moved enough by watching it that I made a rash promise to Calliope that we would take her to the beach this summer. She has never seen the ocean because, quite frankly, we are not beach vacation people. I don't think I have been on a beach or in an ocean since Martha's Vineyard in 1999. Strolling along the Promenade des Anglaises overlooking the Baie des Anges in Nice in '03 doesn't count (this is also known as 'the moment when Aaron was supposed to propose but didn't because he thought I was in a bad mood'- here's a tip for the gentlemen out there . . . *finally* asking your girlfriend of nine years to marry you is a guaranteed way to lift her mood. Just sayin'). And Martha's Vineyard was a bit of a disaster - probably not a great idea to rent a tandem bike when one of you doesn't actually know how to ride a bike of any kind. We must have looked pretty funny cycling across Oak Bluffs with me in the back with my eyes shut tight and my feet off the pedals. It took Aaron several miles to realize that I was neither looking nor pedaling at all. For our honeymoon in '05, we visited Rhode Island, which might have been a great time to go to the beach . . . if we hadn't been hit with Hurricane Ophelia hours after arriving.

So the bottomline is that we are beach novices, and I'm now in the position of planning a week long vacation for about ten people Clearly, I am clueless. Ideally, we need a house that is oceanfront, with 4 -5 bedrooms, suitable for babies, the elderly, and a lunatic dog. We're thinking late May . . . I don't want to drive more than 6 hrs from Asheville, and I don't want to spend more than $3200 . . . also, as dedicated misanthropes, a crowded place like Myrtle Beach would drive us all nuts. Oh, and I don't eat anything that comes out of the ocean because a) the ocean is a dirty place and b) I don't trust anything that wears its skeleton on the outside of its body, so near a town with varied eating establishments would be good. That's not hopeless, right?

Send me an email if you have suggestions, or just leave us a comment here.

Ha! I just realized how not-happy my parents are going to be that I just referred to them as "the elderly".

-starla

2 comments:

Heather said...

I think this is a wonderful adventure:) My sister lives in Mt.Pleasant so we have been there to Isle of Palms quite a few times...In May I think you'll beat a lot of the rush...it is in Charleston area so tons of eateries and fun stuff. Only 4 hours away:)

That being said we also LOVE Edisto Island. It also has some other eateries but is much less low key...we had all bazillion grandbabies there last year and it was divine (as well as our set of elderly!).

Required Display Name said...

Outer Banks/Wrightsville Beach?