Saturday, December 25, 2010

Christmas Feast

Quinn and Aaron slept for about 3 1/2 hrs today after the medical exam, so Calliope and I stayed in the living room and ordered beef congee and rice for lunch. I also splurged on something called 'green bean cream dessert' which cost a whopping 30 yuan, and was neither green nor creamy nor desserty. Very perplexing. There did seem to be beans involved, however.

For our Christmas dinner, Aaron ventured out with Quinn in the hip panda . . . Aaron can't leave Quinn behind or we will upset the executives who are the rightful denizens of this executive floor with much wailing. They got rained on, which Quinn enjoyed a lot. We feasted on french fries, nuggets, vanilla coke and fried taro pie. Calliope seems skeptical that this is actually Christmas Day. Doesn't exactly live up to her preconceived notions, I guess.

My all pie dinner reminds me of just how much I am going to miss my all bun breakfasts, and my all sweet dim sum lunches when we return home. We get comped breakfast buffet up in the executive lounge each morning, and I eat two smashed red bean buns and three soft buns with marmalade. For lunch, I typically order three steamed sesame buns (heaven!), steamed cake with ginger sauce, healthy oatmeal bread, and sometimes pastry with preserved quail egg and red ginger. My mother in law bet that I would lose ten lbs in China, but that sure ain't happening. Calliope, however, is eating plain white rice morning, noon, and night, with the occasional french fry to break up the monotony. Quinn eats anything and everything all the time. Finally, an easy eater in the family!

Tomorrow we have a free day, and then we have our US Consulate appointment Monday afternoon. So close to be done.

-starla

No comments: