Sunday, December 26, 2010

Sunday - free day

Yes, a free day. All to ourselves without any government officials and their expectations. And they all have expectations. I am now on the mend. The cold I had put me down for 2.5 days. Of course fate decreed that those 2.5 days were spent carrying two kids at the same time and finding a regular source of congee. Our new little guy is an eater. Starla was ably in charge while I was laid low. Unfortunately, she is now the one laying low. I'm feeling alright again and I am back in charge of the group. As I said, we had a free day today. Starla spent today sleeping. Calliope, Quinn and I ventured around the hotel and some of the streets to entertain ourselves. While Quinn was napping Daughter and Dad went to McDonald's for some quality time. She had chicken nuggets and we shared some fries. I still think it is a cruel irony to give out the "Sweet and Sour" sauce packet with nuggets in China. Anyway, we enjoyed ourselves in a rather nicely appointed McDonald's. They're always better overseas. This one offers fried pies still...except they're taro and pineapple flavor. During our ventures it was nice to be greeted by a Chinese family in the lobby. They were three women and a baby. One of the women was obviously the grandmother and was quite tiny. And I know tiny. They were all smiles and wanted to affirm the adoption of Chinese orphans. Then they wanted to know if I believed in God. By which I assumed they meant to ask if I was a Christian. They were very pleased with that. We chatted a bit about Calliope and Quinn and our visit here so far. They spoke some English and I got to use some of my Mandarin. They ended by giving us a blessing, which I returned and we parted ways. Humorously, the last time we were in China I was out with Calliope on my own and spoke to several older ladies curious about me and and a tiny Asian toddler. Starla was sick then, too, and I got to pull out one of the phrases I know well. Wo de TaiTai bu tai shufu - My wife isn't feeling too comfortable. Calliope has been doing better and better. Quinn is nothing but smiles and eating and playing. Tomorrow we finish everything we need to come back home as a family of four.

No comments: