Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Lazy pajama days

We've mostly just been chilling in our room the past couple of days, and sending Aaron out to bring us food, or ordering dim sum from downstairs. The only notable thing to happen was that we got Quinn's Chinese passport and visa to the US, and I discovered honeycomb cake. Amazing. I'm still kinda sick, and was just not up for much urban exploring, so we laid low. Calliope wasn't the least bit interested in going out far anyway. This has been a super smooth adoption trip overall, but I do regret not getting to see more of Guangzhou. I would have liked to have visited ShenZhen as well, but it was not to be. And we only did a grand total of three hours of real shopping this entire trip . . . I think we averaged three hours of shopping each day in '07.

I'm finding China to be even more fascinating this time around. I think on the last trip, we were just so overwhelmed by becoming parents for the first time, and we had such a sick little baby to take care of, that the 'where' of the experience was lost. But this time was totally different for me, and I'm glad everything worked out the way it has. Could have done with not getting sick, of course, but every time you bring a new germ factory into the family, you take that risk. :)

I am going to miss this hotel! Crazy excellent service, seriously good food, and I really did like the location a lot. Thumbs up for the Garden Hotel. I'm no longer sad that we weren't able to book an apartment for our stay. Can't say that I would like to sleep on this couch for another 2 weeks, though. It's shaped in a half-circle, so my spine is now permanently curved. But hey, it was a better choice than sleeping in the bedroom with all three snoring machines. And we could have gotten a roll-away or an inflatable mattress if I had really wanted to.

Quinn is asleep, and Aaron and Calliope are out for a final nighttime jaunt to McDonald's. She has to enjoy it while she can, because it's not a place mama lets her go when we are back home. We won't have many pics from this second half of the trip, but we do have some remarkably cute footage of Calliope and Quinn acting very much like brother and sister. Quinn was apparently very popular on the playground at the SWI, and the nannies say all the children loved to play with him. I can see why . . . he's very goodnatured and sociable. Makes sure everyone is included, and doesn't mind getting knocked down. Which is a good thing, because he gets knocked down a fair amount. Today, he seemed to sense that something was going on in the flurry of packing, and he was very emotionally clingy. I don't think he realizes yet that we are taking him with us.

We leave in the morning, flying Korean Air to Seoul. Short-ish layover, then off to Atlanta. We arrive in ATL about 30 mins *before* we leave Seoul. Figure that one out.

-starla

No comments: